Iaith Gwaith Cymraeg


Got a question?
Get in touch with us

Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy (IMCA) is for:

  • When an NHS Body or a Local Authority proposes to provide, withhold or stop serious medical treatment
  • When an NHS Body or a Local Authority proposes to arrange or change accommodation
  • Care reviews
  • Adult protection cases

An advocate may also be required in cases where Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DOLs) are applied. An IMCA must be instructed:

  • When an Urgent Authorisation has been made and a Standard Authorisation applied for
  • When an unauthorised deprivation of liberty is being checked
  • When there is a gap in the appointment of a Relative Patients Representative (RPR)
  • Where the person does not have a paid ‘professional’ RPR and the relevant person, their representative or the supervisory body feel that an IMCA needs to be instructed to support the RPR role.

All Health Boards in Wales provide an IMCA service for qualifying patients in their area. ASC provides this service in Aneurin Bevan UHB, Cardiff & Vale UHB and Cwm Taf Morgannwg UHB.

To find out who provides the IMCA service in the other Health Board areas of Wales, go to our Other Contacts page.


IMCA referrals can only be made by the relevant decision maker or a person authorised to make the referral on their behalf. If you are not sure of eligibility, please contact 029 2054 0444.

You can download the form by clicking on the link below. Please complete this form and return it to us by fax on 029 2073 5620 or by email info@ascymru.org.uk

IMCA Referral Form IMCA Map

Patient Stories

We have supported many clients with Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy. Here are just a few examples, we have anonymised as appropriate.

Not sure if IMCA is the service for you?

Our IMCA brochure will help.

Click here to download